Friday 26 June 2020

Life Slips

Life - so pathetically plastic, please sterilize my days,
With celebrity gossip and repeated tv shows, I've seen a hundred times.
Lul me with some music; overproduced and auto-tuned
lyrically banal and sung by some beautiful fool
while my life slips ever faster from my grasp.

Let me dream of winning the lottery or Britain's got talent.
So I can validate my existence and earn sympathy from my history.
Here's my backstory; tragedy and loss, like everyone else you meet
but they can't sing as well as me, so their story remains untold.
still, life slips ever faster from my grasp.

While the news gives me a thousand things to fear; war, disease and poverty,
Environmental apathy, political monotony, boundaries to make it them and me.
Politics of the envious? loss of the moral majority? a life devoid of empathy.
Just focus on your dead-end job, keep the faith while treading water in a sea of debt,
Almost want my life to slip ever faster from my grasp.

Frustration flowing through my veins like lightning urging me to action
while paralyzing me with a thunderous thrombosis of apologetic apathy.
I'm tied to my house, car, debt, job and the perception of myself I cultivate.
While I struggle to relate my ever deeper depression and lethal lethargy.
as my life slips ever faster from my grasp.

So much wonder in the universe that I will never see, blinded by binge-watching the tv.
Such a bounteous beauty in the world that's unknown to me, stuck in these four walls.
So many people just like me I will never meet, to avoid the communal void we all feel.
Fill my life, with graves of days spent languishing lethargically; mouth agasp.
Life slips ever faster from my grasp. 

by Steven Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment