Tuesday 15 October 2019

Nameless Homeless Guy

Snow falls, a host of tiny angels dancing in my view,
as I lie here bones cold my matted hair all askew.
I used to employ thousands before my business went under.
Paid taxes, insurance, now I shiver, numb with wonder.

As I stare at the sky a canopy of strange lights,
my wet blankets provide inadequate warmth tonight.
I've been beaten and moved on and this is where I lie,
Knowing surely that this is the place I will die.

My blood hardly moving and my heart barely beats,
as the pain in my chest echoes the pain in my feet.
I think back to those summers in Bali and Greece,
When I was wealthy and happy, lazy days on the beach.

I look around at the others, many are shivering too,
I realise Mary has succumbed, her face now pale blue.
I'm glad she's at peace, her life - a living hell,
But I know not her family or whom I could tell.

I wonder what worth am I, will I be remembered?
or just another homeless man, who finally surrendered.
To the cold and the pain, to the thoughts of my past.
Life is a dream that for all of us will pass.

I wish I'd been a better man, I should have realised,
Wealth is not everything, how precious is life!
The darkness all around me, my eyesight grows dim.
Wish someone would hold me, with tears my eyes brim.

Should have written this on paper, now I'm too weak to write,
At Least my thoughts aren't as bitter as this bitterly cold night.
Time to sleep now, I'm tired; it's all I have left.
As my body gives in and I breathe my last breath.

by a nameless homeless guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment